The performance standards are used to assist
students in determining whether accommodations or modifications are
necessary and provide and objective measure upon which informed
decisions can be based about whether students can meet requirements.
- Critical thinking ability sufficient for clinical judgment.
- Interpersonal abilities sufficient to interact with individuals,
families, and groups from a variety of social, emotional, cultural, and
- Communications abilities sufficient for interaction with others in verbal and written form.
- Physical abilities sufficient to move from room to room and maneuver in small spaces.
- Gross and fine motor abilities sufficient to provide safe and effective nursing care.
- Auditory abilities sufficient to monitor and assess health needs.
- Visual ability sufficient for observation and assessment necessary in nursing care.
- Tactical ability sufficient for physical assessment
If an otherwise qualified student believes that he or she cannot meet
one or more of the standards without accommodation or modifications, the
nursing program will determine, on an individual basis, whether or not
the necessary modifications can be made reasonably. The following
process will be used:
- Before admission to the nursing major, all students will have
information regarding Core Performance Standards.
- A student with disabilities who believes that he or she may need
assistance in meeting the Core Performance Standards should contact
Disabilities Services at ETSU, Upper Level, D.P. Culp Center, or call
I have read and understand the College of Nursing Core Performance
Standards listed above and by submitting this form, applicant verifies that the
information given is correct and complete.